I find that I am a total mood chameleon in the sense that whatever the person nearest to me is feeling tends to rub off on me. I was thinking of this today on my lunch break as I was annoyed in a traffic situation, so I took a deep breath and felt a little bit better.
I decided that tomorrow, or perhaps even tonight, if I have the energy to be out in public, that I will do something kind for someone else. I'm not talking about buying someones groceries for them or anything, just something to show a little humanness.
I hope that you will think of this and try the concept on for size, maybe tomorrow will be a good day for a lot of people and they wont even know why.
I'll give a few suggestions to get us started.
- Pick up something a stranger has dropped (nothing gross, or trash obviously, that won't help anyone really)
- Let someone cut in front of your car who is waiting to merge into traffic. And hope that they give you a little wave, or head nod.. I can't stand it when people don't do that!
- Give someone you don't know a compliment
- Give someone you love, (or like) a greeting card, just to show you care
- Smile when you normally wouldn't. Try it when you are on the phone, it's funny how your tone of voice changes.
If nothing more, just try not being negative. Others will appreciate it, even if they don't know it.